The Builders Designers Association Victoria (BDAV) have advised further in regards revelation that some high rise buildings were found that the external cladding used was not non-combustible. The Lacrosse building at docklands fire started from a smouldering cigarette on a second floor balcony of the Lacrosse tower in the Docklands in November 2014. It quickly spread to the 20th storey, causing $2 million in damage and forcing hundreds of people to evacuate. No one was killed however it raised the possibility of Non-compliant Cladding materials being used.
“The Victorian Building Authority issued an announcement yesterday afternoon advising of its actions in relation to the audit of cladding on high rise buildings. This follows on from the fire at the Lacrosse Apartments in the Docklands precinct in November of 2014 in which it was found that the external aluminium cladding on the building contributed to the fire spread and did not meet compliance with the National Construction Code. The VBA noted it has contacted more than 20,000 building practitioners requesting information about possible non-compliant use of cladding, and is also requiring the builders and building surveyors of some 170 high rise buildings in inner Melbourne and surrounding suburbs built in the last 10 years to provide evidence that the external cladding complies with the NCC. To read the VBA announcement, CLICK HERE.“
James Hardie have provided a technical bulletin relating to this issue CLICK
Domestically we are often challenged with the facts that choosing products is a daunting issue. To ensure the quality is not just a visual factor but a tested and proven factor is important. No more or less than the workmanship demanded from your builder. When selecting material it’s best to ensure the products tested and certified for the usage proposed.
We will find due to the above issue the requirement from Building Surveyors for designers and builders to produce documentation to confirm that the specified product meets Australian Standards and is fully installed, not switched out to a non-suitable product will become common place.